Definition, Functions and Types of Enzymes
An enzyme is a biocatalyst synthesizes by a living cell.
An enzyme is a protein in nature except for RNA because of RNA act as a
An enzyme is a substance having thermolabile in character and colloidal in nature.
It posses the specific action for the substance.
Functions of Enzymes
- All enzyme is protein in nature, the only exception is RNA is also capable of the enzymatic activity.
- Each and every enzyme have an own specific confirmation and structure and these quality are very important for the enzymatic activity.
- Some enzyme is required additional compound for the enzymatic activity is known as co-factor and co-enzyme.Co-factor:
Co-factor is the substance consisted of the one or more than one inorganic ion.e.g. – iron, magnesium, zinc, etc. Co-enzyme:
Co-enzyme consist a complex organic or metal organic molecule.e.g. – biocytine and co-enzyme A (CoA).
- Some of the enzymes required no chemical substance for the catalytic activity.
- Some of the enzymes are required both co-enzyme and a metal ion.
- For the completion of the catalytic activity enzyme bound with the co-enzyme or co-factor is known as Holoenzyme. Holoenzyme = apoenzyme + co-enzyme/co-factor.
Types of Enzymes
Enzymes are classified in following types…
This type of reaction is important for the transfer for the electron, hydroxide ions.
It posses the oxidation and reduction reactions.
e.g.- alcohol dehydrates.
This type of enzymatic reaction is important for the catalyzed group transfer reaction such as glycoside, methyl phasphoryle.
It catalysed hydrolysis reaction. It transfer the functional group of
It forms double bond by removal of group.
Transfer of group within the molecule. This type of reaction also catalyzed the geometric or structure change within the molecule.
e.g.- triose phosphate isomarese.
This type of reaction catalysed C-C, C-S, C-O, C-N bonds. Its works with the help of condensation reaction.
e.g.- glutamine synthatases.
- What is pharmacy and Scope of pharmacy?
- Secretion of hormones from the Anterior Pituitary Gland
- Introduction and Type of Autacoids in Pharmacy
- Introduction, Pharmacological Action/Function, Regulation of release and Drawback of Progesterone in Pharmacy
- Introduction, Type, Advantage and Disadvantage of Hard Gelatin Capsule and Soft Gelatin Capsule in Pharmacy
- Definition, Secretion, Regulation of Release, Function and Drawback of Growth Hormone(GH) in Pharmacy
- Introduction + Classification + Pharmacological Action + Regulation of Release and Drawback of Glucocorticoids Hormone
- Introduction, Types and Symptoms of Diabetes
- Human blood group and classification of ABO system
- Introduction, Classification and Mechanism of Action of Emetic and Antiemetic drug in Pharmacy